Monday, February 21, 2011

GOOD LUCK? I don't think so...

Recently I was told by "someone" that I am LUCKY.

Lucky to love what I do, lucky to have what I have.

It got me to thinking though....Do people in general not know, that LUCK is opportunity created? I wasn't always a photographer... in fact at one point in my life, I remember thinking to myself, " I cannot do this job, live this life or be here at this very moment for one more day" - it's difficult to be somewhere in your life you don't want to be. It affects everything.... the kind of person you are, how good of a mother you are, your marriage.... It affects your "everything" - and if you let it, It can destroy you. I suppose that's why there are so many bitter people in the world. I personaly stay away from all negative people, as much as I can.... negativity breeds just that. A really great friend of mine is one of the most positive people I know... now, just to make it clear, she doesn't have everything - just like you and I, she has been through "life" - it's highs and lows .... so why is she SO positive? Well, the answer is easy. Positivity makes it easier to get through the day (even when it's not such a great day) and it also makes others around you positive! Now... it also REALLY annoys people that you are SO positive.... and they may even say to you, " Why are YOU so happy?" (I've had that happen to me) and the answer is, "Why aren't YOU?" Soo........ getting back to my point, GOOD LUCK, it is opportunity created! My studio, my photography and everything I have is a product of something I created, that I love, that I cared for. It is a product of my time that I made ... and I am very proud of it. I had an opportunity, a "dream" and I took it and went for it.

Recently, I tried to help a friend start something that required some investing and she said, "What IF I fail?" - OK.... so if you are going to do something .... then make a commitment, and if you make a commitment and you are TRULY serious about it then Failure is NOT an option. Right? Question is, are you commited?

I have NO IDEA why I'm blogging about this because It's not in any shape form or way related to photography or Studio M.... but I thought it was worth throwing out into the world... that comment made me think about so many things ... how I started, how things grew, how wonderful and difficult it was.... hard work pays off... in many more significant ways than you may think. I guess I am writing all this because I feel that one moment, one thought or idea, one sentence can change someone's life so deeply. If you are close to me, you know that, I have a wonderful family and that I am close to all of them except for my brother. I don't know why that is. I don't know what happened at some point in my life that distanced me from him... I can't pinpoint it to one thing... perhaps just a series of events.... all I know is, there is love there but that's it.... nothing else. I am not proud of that, nor does it make me happy. In fact, if I knew how to change it, I would. Maybe it can't be changed... who knows.... but even though my brother and I don't have it together, he said ONE THING in one sentence in one moment that changed my life so deeply that it will never be undone. It planted a seed in my head that changed how I thought about something ... when I was playing with photography MANY MANY MANY years ago (before studio M was even in existence!) he said, "Why don't you become a photographer?" (he knew how much I loved photography) and I said, "I can't... I don't have a degree in photography" and he said, "You don't need one..." - and there it was :) - since then fast forward many many years... yes I have degrees, certifications and merits under my belt and plan to continue to do so.... but that one sentence, one moment.... it changed my life. That was beginning of the "now" - so I am lucky that I believed in myself enough (and had a supportive family) that I created the opportunity to be where I am :) - wow.... that was a lot of intense things to say!

Now, there is ONE THING that makes me feel very lucky and very special that I can give the world that most people can't say the same.... People remember their moments & lives through my eyes, my feelings and emotions. Even when I am gone, my artwork will continue to bring smiles, laughs and maybe even tears to loved ones. That makes me feel LUCKY and loved :)
Creating images like this make me feel lucky, loved & important. When I take images like this my eyes often water up and I hold back my emotions during my sessions and I pat myself on the back and say "great job Maria" - this child will remember the beginning of her life like this. AND THAT makes me feel lucky :)



No comments: